Advice on Moving into Self Storage
Below are a few ideas on how to take a little bit of the pain out of moving your stuff into storage.
Please talk to our friendly fully trained members of staff at your local self storage depot who can recommend van hire and removal companies, provide you with packing materials and answer any questions you may have.
Visit Dainton Self Storage to establish which storage unit size you will need or try our self storage calculator.
Reserve the required storage unit - this saves time when moving into your storage unit…you will have enough to do on the day!
Make sure that you have enough packing materials - we can provide boxes and packaging for storage and removals.
We recommend customers should:
- Disassemble the big pieces - keeping the screws etc. in labelled bags
- Box everything to avoid losing things
- Use proper storage boxes that won't collapse
- Spread heavy items about so that boxes are not too heavy
- Wrap china and glass piece by piece. Put the heaviest items at the bottom and pad out corners and empty spaces
- Label your boxes clearly and preferably on the top and on one side. Ideally make a list of numbered boxes
- Clean out fridges, freezers, ovens and food cupboards, and tape doors closed for the journey
In the Van
For a long distance choose a van big enough for just one trip. For shorter distances plan several trips in a smaller van.
- Load the biggest items first, and pad spaces between items
- Tie everything so it doesn't topple or slide about
- Put your handbag, wallet, specs and keys in one bag in the cab of the van
At Your Storage Unit
Follow these tips when storing goods in a unit:
- Store largest items first
- Fill hollow items i.e. wardrobes with boxes
- Label and number all boxes - keep a numbered list, and stack boxes with labels visible
- Store appliances clean, with doors wedged open
- In a large unit, leave access space down the middle
- Put dust sheets over stored goods
Go and see the depot manager and have a cup of tea and a biscuit!